Let the Summer Fun Begin
- August 7, 2019
- Walter Portier
- Georgia, insurance, insurance agent, Ocilla, safety, The Portier Agency
Let the Summer Fun Begin
To many of us, Memorial Day is the official start of summer fun.
It’s a time to remember the people who gave so much for our country, a time to be with family and friends and a time to take a break and have some fun.
Whatever your plans are for this Memorial Day and beyond, here are a few tips to keep your adventures as safe as they are fun.
SWIMMING SAFETY TIPS
- Watch kids when they are in or around water, without being distracted. A Water Watcher card can help designate a responsible adult to keep an eye on kids in the water at all times.
- Teach children to swim with an adult. Older, more experienced swimmers should still swim with a partner every time.
- Swimming aids such as water wings or noodles are fun toys for kids, but are not appropriate to be used as a personal floatation device (PFD). Be sure to use a U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket or PFD for your kids.
- Teach children that swimming in open water is NOT the same as swimming in a pool. They need to be aware of uneven surfaces, river currents, ocean undertow and changing weather. See more open water safety tips.
GRILLING SAFETY TIPS
- Position the grill well away from foot traffic and play areas. Areas along siding, deck railings, out from under eaves and overhanging branches could also be potentially dangerous.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill area by declaring a three-foot “kid-free zone” around the grill.
- Keep all matches and lighters away from children. Teach your children to report any loose matches or lighters to an adult immediately.
SUMMER TRAVEL SAFETY TIPS
- Buckling up on every ride is the single most important thing a family can do to stay safe in the car.
- Seventy-three percent of car seats are not used or installed correctly, so before you hit the road, check your car seat. Here’s a quick car seat checklist to help you out.
- Use a booster seat with the vehicle lap AND shoulder safety belts until your child passes the Safety Belt Fit Test.
- Heatstroke is the leading cause of non-crash, vehicle-related deaths for children. Never leave your child alone in a car, not even for a minute.
STAYING SAFE OUTDOORS
- Make sure your children have the appropriate clothing and gear. Camps will often send a required packing list. Follow it. The right gear will help[…]
# # #
Continue reading this article.
Don’t forget, The Portier Agency offers:
homeowner/mobile home/ renter’s /automobile / motorcycle / life / commercial / crop insurance.
Call or come by to get your quote!
The Portier Agency, LLC
113 North Irwin Avenue
Ocilla, GA 31774